Thursday, 17 July 2014

A little bit of fantastic news goes a long way

Now that a fierce storm has finally blown out to sea I can now pick up speed on multiple projects.

I am currently working on four suites of drawings and a new suite of smallish objects. As these drawings range from mural size to more domestic sized works, I've re-calibrated my studio (again). I now have five work stations set up which allows me to move from one to another without wasting any time. I've also allocated  two hour time brackets to work on each suite. When my phone alarm sounds after two hours, I take a five minute break and then move onto the next suite. This work load, plus other commitments will see me 'holed up' in my studio until the end of the year.

 

21/07/2014: Finished Raft #5 this weekend and have now tacked the paper for Raft # 6 to the wall (right wall), no's 2-4 are pinned to the back wall, and #4 is obscured by my work bench.

Other noteworthy news this month: 
1. Lynne Barwick's work [group exhibition] at Damien Minton Gallery was very well received. I keep returning to and imagining how these works would be received in Belgium and Germany where text art has a larger discerning audience.
2. Gillian Lavery has work in a group show title, Engage which opens tonight at a new gallery, 'M.Contemporary', 37 Ocean Street, Woollahra. Gillian is currently completing her Masters degree at COFA.
3. Maryanne Coutts' new work, 'Breaking news' (2014) @ Articulate Project Space. 
Based on evening news television broadcasts, Coutt's multi-panel work (watercolour on paper) included several haunting studies of faceless, and subsequently anonymous soldiers. On both my first and second viewing of 'Breaking news', I kept (and keep) imagining this work on display at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Coutt's color palette instantly reminded me of Ruth Tuck's refined colour intelligence*. Coutt's accomplishment is that her watercolour palette is astute. It is devoid of saccharine sweet junk food colours.  
4. Home@735: Crisp and refreshing new gallery initiative by Anthony Bautovich and Madeleine Preston in their home. Bravo.

* Ruth Tuck (1914-2008): I was lucky to have Ruth as a tutor in the early 80s when I attended her after school art classes, first in Fullerton and then at Burnside, in Adelaide. Like many pre-internet age artists, it is deeply problematic and unfortunate that that most of Tuck's work has not been digitalised for the web. The few works available on the web do not do Ruth's work justice. These works only reflect approximately 20% of the vitality of the way she used colour. I would relish the chance to see, in person, how the 80s watercolours of her garden have stood the test of time. I would also be curious to see how a room hung with only Dorrit Black and Ruth's early, mid and late career work would work, given that Tuck was taught by Black. Note to self: Make haste. Get thee to the AGSA to see the Dorrit Black show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.