Saturday, 8 November 2014

News summary: September- November

Lute case
The following notes are a brief sketch of events, mostly in chronological order, that have or will punctuate the second half of 2014.

1. Sydney: Lute case on a metropolitan train. This form makes me think of Rose McGreevy's studies for forms that cannot be made- red, blue and yellow studies. Exhibited at Factory 49's annual birthday show earlier this year (2014).
2. Gent reminder: Rene Magritte's 'Perspectief II: Het balkon van Manet' (1950), permanent collection MSK, Gent.
3. Adelaide: I had a chance to meet the mindful team members at the Royal Adelaide Hospital who have been looking after my Mother this winter. Their work was supported by the team at St Margaret's Hospital who my Mother describes as 'super'.
4. Spending time with my visually astute brother reminds me how lucky I am.  I can still remember when he and I visited the Emily Kame Kngwarreye's survey at the MCA (Sydney) in the late 90s. During that visit, he responded to Emily's work at length, as a poet might: to the air spaces, and the frequency of those air spaces, between Emily's brush marks and law.
5. RAH Orthotics & Prosthetics department: Bravo Adam Gill and Moira. [More later.]
6. Sydney: With no air left in the room, I catch a train to Gosford (approximately 1.5 hours north of Sydney) to see Lennox, a lovely little boy, age: 3 months. 



7. Vale: Rose McGreevy. 
Born Belfast, Northern Ireland on 21 September, 1945. Died Sydney, 20th October 2014

'Like a long-legged fly upon the stream
Her mind moves upon silence'. 
 WB Yeats, Last Poems 

8. Performance:
Emma Sulkowicz:
http://www.democracynow.org/2014/9/16/a_survivors_burden_columbia_student_carries
Special thanks to Maura Rilley for highlighting Emma Sulkowicz's important performance piece during her Contemporary Art and Feminist (CAF) lecture at the the AGNSW. 
Thanks also to a new friend who passed on tickets to this booked out event.

9. Vale: Gough Whitlam: The most important white guy in this country. 


10. Prima! Margaret Robert's latest work at Factory 49.
11. Upcoming: Lynne Barwick exhibiting new work in 'Sydney Painting Now' at MOP Gallery, opens this Wednesday coming.
12. Upcoming: Factory 49 group show featuring: Elizabeth Day,  Rose Ann McGreevy, Sue Callanan, Barbara Halnan and Lynne Barwick.
13.  Upcoming_mine: 'Die Papageien' (2014) project is progressing well. The first of these drawings was shown at Factory 49 earlier this year. I am currently working on the 4th of several.
14. Upcoming_mine: A new large drawing, that I loosely think of as , 'The winter drawing' (2014), was completed on Friday.
15. Upcoming_mine: The 'Island' (TBC title) drawings: Will return to these as soon as Die Papageien project has been completed.
16. German: After each week's Goethe class I think in German for a few hours. I am slowly working through a collection of short stories in a dual language publication. This makes me happy. I am also very glad to have smart SydU Conservatorium undergraduates in my Goethe class.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.